Friday 26 February 2016

A Challenging Start

The start of this module hasn't exactly been plain sailing. Not only is it different to any Open University module I have previously encountered but my health hasn't exactly been playing ball.

Virus after virus, a flare up of shingles and another virus have resulted in a 'blip' (I'm hoping not a relapse) which has meant at times an hour's study a day has led to total exhaustion for the rest of the time.

Trying to come up with a suitable project topic, then make a project plan and start on some project work has been immensely challenging to say the least. There have been times I've come ever so close to packing it all in and giving up on my degree. It's just seemed too difficult, too stressful and at times I've wondered why I'm doing this?

But with the help of my family, friends and tutor I've found a suitable topic, I'm feeling slightly less stressed about it and have decided to stick at it. After all if you never try you'll never know what you can achieve.

The trouble with having such limited energy, struggling to come up with a solid project idea until quite late in the day and generally being so unwell all the time is it leaves you very little time to start on project work and complete the first TMA. As I have discovered. I've pretty much had two of the four weeks available to actually start some work and complete the TMA; the other two were spent trying to come up with a decent idea and being too unwell to even consider studying! That's with me pushing through the tail end of viruses, something I shouldn't do as it risks delaying recovery but if I hadn't I'd have had less time to complete the work.

It's been quite a palava getting everything done in time as it is. My self-imposed time limits don't help matters either; I like my assignments in a few days early to be sure I don't miss the deadline due to losing my internet connection or whatever! As usual I've managed to submit a few days early but I'm not sure I've done enough to get a decent mark, which is why I'm relieved it's 'only' worth 5% of my overall grade for the module. However I'd rather get a decent mark since every little counts especially when you never know what's round the corner health wise!

No comments:

Post a Comment